Course page for CS2443 - Algorithms
Back to my homepage
N.R.Aravind and Subrahmanyam Kalyanasundaram
for a pdf version of syllabus and grading policy.
Divide & Conquer, Sorting, and order statistics, Fast Fourier Transform,
randomized sorting and selection, closest pair-of-points algorithms.
Dynamic programming: Edit distance, Viterbi algorithm, and other examples. Greedy algorithms: Minimum change, Huffman codes, and other examples.
Graph algorithms: DFS, topological sorting, shortest path algorithms, maximum flow.
Other/optional topics: NP-completeness.
1. Introduction to Algorithms: Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest and Stein
2. Online lecture notes by Jeff Erickson
3. Algorithms by Dasgupta, Papadimitrou and Vazirani
4. Algorithm Design: Kleinberg and Tardos
5. The Algorithm Design Manual by Steven Skiena
Attendance: 10%, Assignments: 10%
Exam 1: 20%, Exam 2: 20%, Exam 3: 40%
21 out of 42 classes NECESSARY to pass the course.
Marks: 5 for 21 classes, 8 for 28 classes, 10 for 35 classes.